The aim of minimal stimulation IVF is to produce less than 8 good quality eggs which will result in a successful conception of a pregnancy.
Minimal stimulation IVF is different from both conventional IVF as well as natural cycle IVF. In Natural cycle IVF, no fertility medications are used. On the other hand, in conventional IVF, the ovaries are stimulated to produce at least 8 eggs in one reproductive cycle.
Minimal stimulation is a process in which fertility medicines are used in lesser doses and for lesser duration in order to avoid the risks associated with fertility medicines.
Minimal stimulation IVF is advised in following conditions:
1. Failure in producing large number of eggs in spite of giving high levels of fertility medications.
2. Females with advanced age.
3. Females who do not produce good quality eggs necessary for fertilization.
4. Women who want to have only one child can opt for this procedure.
5. Women who are prone to developing ovarian hyper stimulation syndrome.
6. Women with low ovarian reserve.
The process of minimal stimulation IVF is mostly similar to the routine IVF. Medicines like clomiphene citrate and gonadotropins are given but in a very smaller dose and for a shorter duration. The growth of the egg is monitored with serial ultra sonographies and blood test. The egg is extracted when it matures by using the same techniques as Conventional IVF.
- Cost Effective: the minimal stimulation IVF is cheaper than conventional IVF.
- Time Saving: duration of the treatment is less as compared to conventional IVF.
- Fewer Side Effects: as natural cycle is not altered, the side effects like mood swings, irritability, and head ache are less.
- Decreased Time Period between 2 Cycles: After one IVF cycle, the patient is advised to rest for few months as the ovaries cannot be re hyper stimulated in such a short time. This factor is overcome in this procedure as minimal stimulation is done and the next cycle can be done in the following month.
- Patient’s Comfort: patient is far more comfortable while undergoing this procedure as compared to conventional IVF.
The risks are less as compared to conventional IVF as hyper stimulation is avoided. The chances of ovarian hyper stimulation are almost negligible. But, the pregnancy rates are low as compared to the conventional IVF as lesser eggs are collected.
Minimal stimulation is an excellent alternative to the conventional IVF. If you have any queries, kindly contact Hegde Hospital.