Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) is a condition that is caused due to hormonal imbalance. Polycystic ovarian syndrome can also lead to the problems in the menstrual periods and may make it difficult for you to become pregnant.
Polycystic ovarian syndrome can also lead to changes in external appearance. The main sex hormones responsible for polycystic ovarian syndrome are estrogen and progesterone. The PCOS condition arises when the estrogen and progesterone levels are out of balance.
Hormonal imbalance results in formation of mass of cells that is referred to as cyst. Women with a family history of PCOS polycystic ovarian syndrome are more at risk of developing the same condition. Apart from estrogen and progesterone women also produces a male sex hormone called androgen. Over production of androgen in the body can also lead to problems in release of eggs during ovulation along with polycystic ovarian syndrome. Androgen levels in the body can also be increased due to excess of insulin content in the body.
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome Symptoms
Women generally show visible symptoms while suffering with polycystic ovarian syndrome. The most common symptoms include:
- Menstrual problems- Women with polycystic ovarian syndrome can have few or no menstrual period and in few severe cases heavy or regular bleeding. Polycystic ovarian syndrome patients fail to menstruate for 4 months or longer and can also lead to infertility.
- Hair loss
- Acne and oily skin
- Ovulation disorder – Polycystic ovarian syndrome patients are generally unable to release an egg. In few cases they will experience miscarriages repeatedly.
- Upper body obesity due to insulin resistance
- Pelvic pain
- Polycystic ovaries – Polycystic ovaries usually become enlarged and comprise of small fluid-filled sacs surrounding the egg.
- Androgen levels increases- The male sex hormone androgen is produced in excess in the body and can show visible signs like excess facial and body hair.
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome and Infertility
Polycystic ovarian syndrome patients do not release an egg regularly. Women with Polycystic ovarian syndrome are at high risk of pregnancy complications. The infertility rate is generally high in patients with polycystic ovarian syndrome.
In few polycystic ovarian syndrome cases women ovulate occasionally and in other severe cases they do not ovulate. The sperm cell must find a fertilized and mature egg to begin the pregnancy. A woman will conceive only when a fertilized mature egg combines with sperm cell.
Patients with polycystic ovarian syndrome can conceive after the fertility treatment. Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) is also called as polycystic ovarian disease (PCOD). Patients with polycystic ovarian disease can opt for PCOS or PCOD treatment in Hyderabad is done at a very reasonable rate.
Polycystic ovarian syndrome can be treated with laparoscopy. Laparoscopic ovarian drilling is done in women having polycystic ovarian syndrome to trigger ovulation. Laparoscopic ovarian drilling is a surgical technique to initiate ovulation in women. Laparoscopic ovarian drilling is done when the women are unable to ovulate even after the fertility treatment.
Hegde Fertility is the reputed IVF and Fertility Center in Hyderabad, where cost effective Infertility treatment andPCOS/PCOD treatment is provided under the supervision of board certified Infertility Specialist.