The chances of conception for a couple in a single month of planning during the fertile period of her cycle is around 15% & around 70 – 80% of the couple conceive within the first year of planning. But the rest who fail to conceive during the first year of trying require assistance to conceive.
Today globally infertility is increasing and the reasons for which is multifactorial – genetic, lifestyle and environment. So just like you research a lot before you plan your education, career, select a partner or buy a house, you also need to understand and be aware of your own fertility status and your partners. This knowledge will help you conceive easier whenever you plan.
Few steps for Enhancing Fertility:
1. The fertile period for the female starts about 4 days prior to ovulation and ends on the day of ovulation. So a girl with a regular cycle of 28 days is fertile between cycle day 10 to 16. This is not applicable if cycles are irregular.
2. Eat a healthy high protein nutritious diet at least 6 months before planning pregnancy avoiding fast food, artificial colours, preservatives, taste makers, canned foods, caffeinated drinks, alcohol and smoking.
3. Be physically active by inculcating an exercise regimen such as yoga, work outs, swimming or games like badminton and have adequate sunlight exposure.
4. Have a harmonious relation with your partner and plan short holidays during the fertile period to be away from work related stress factors
5. Try to avoid night shifts as they do affect the hormone release patterns
6. Any problems related to sexual dysfunction faced by the male or female partner like erectile dysfunction, premature ejaculation, decreased libido or vaginismus and painful intercourse needs to be addressed early on in your marital life and don’t postpone them till you plan a family.
You Might Like to Read: Male Infertility: Causes and Treatments
When to Consult a Fertility Specialist:
1. If a couple having regular intercourse fails to conceive within 12 months of trying during fertile period.
2. If Female partner age is above 30yrs then consult within 6 months of trying.
Preconceptional Evaluation is required if:
1. Genetic problems within the family
2. Menstrual cycle irregularities, painful periods, painful intercourse.
3. Females with Past history of Tuberculosis, pelvic surgeries, endometriosis, ectopic pregnancy or abortions
4. Male with history of childhood genital surgeries, Tuberculosis, Mumps,
5. Female on chronic medications for Thyroid, Hypertension, Diabetes, Epilepsy, Psychiatric illness etc.
What to Expect at First Fertility Consultation:
1. Complete history taking of both partners
2. Female – Ultrasound of uterus and ovaries and few hormonal blood tests
3. Male – basic semen analysis
4. Brief knowledge imparting regarding menstrual cycle and fertile period
5. Counselled about adjuvants to improve pregnancy chances naturally.
6. Evaluation of reports and further detailed fertility planning.