Recurrent miscarriage is defined by two or more failures of pregnancies. About 1% of the females trying for a pregnancy suffer from recurrent miscarriage.
There are various causes of recurrent miscarriages as follows:
- Genetic abnormalities
- Advanced maternal age
- Abnormal shape of the uterus
- Hormonal problems
- Blood clotting abnormalities in the mother
Despite all these causes, many times a reason for recurrent miscarriage cannot be found. This is called as unexplained recurrent miscarriage.
- Detailed history: The infertility specialist takes a detailed medical and family history.
- Physical exam: A complete physical examination is performed by the Infertility Specialist .
- Ultrasonography: The ultrasound is performed to determine the shape and any abnormalities of the uterus. E.g. Polyps, fibroids, or scarring etc.
- Hysterosalpingography: A hystero-salpingogram is performed. It is nothing but an X-ray of the uterus and tubes. It helps the infertility specialist to examine the inside of the uterus and the patency of the tubes.(if they are opened or closed)
- Hysteroscopy: In hysteroscopy, the inside of the uterus can be seen with the help of a camera attached to the scope.
- Blood Tests: blood is tested for disorders like thrombophilia, thyroid and diabetes.
- Genetic Testing: Parental chromosome testing (karyogram) can be done if there is more than 2 or 3 loss of pregnancy to determine the genetic cause.
- Uterine abnormality: If any uterine abnormality is detected it is corrected with surgery if correctable. (Septal Resection, Polypectomy, Myomectomy etc.)
- Abnormalities in a mother’s blood clotting: certain medications are prescribed to thin out the blood.
- Thyroid or Diabetes: appropriate medications are prescribed.
- Genetic counseling: Genetic counseling is suggested to the patients who have a genetic disorder & if necessary couple can opt for IVFwith PGS to select a normal embryo for transfer.
- Donor gametes: Donor Gametes may be an option if genetic condition is not correctable.
- Surrogacy: Best option in case of intrauterine problems which cannot be corrected.
No matter what the results of the evaluation are, the chance for a successful future pregnancy after recurrent miscarriage is high. 75% of the couples conceive successfully irrespective of the results of the evaluation.
Are you or your spouse suffering from recurrent pregnancy loss? Contact the best IVF center to get the right treatment. Contact 040-4260 7310 to know details about infertility treatment cost.