Infertility is a common medical condition seen in both men and women. Male infertility is generally caused due to the poor quality and quantity of the sperm produced that does not result in pregnancy.
Causes of Male Infertility
There are different factors that are responsible for male infertility. The most common causes include:
- Sperm production
- Sperm transport blockage
- Erection and ejaculation problem
- Hormonal imbalance
- Sperm antibodies
Male Infertility Treatment
Male infertility can be treated through different methods apart from maintain a healthy lifestyle and consuming healthy food. Intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI) is the most common male infertility treatment used.
Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection (ICSI)
Intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI) is generally used as a part of in vitro fertilization (IVF) treatment to achieve a healthy pregnancy. It is one of the most successful treatments used for men who are infertile. It is currently used for nearly half of all IVF treatments. Initially the woman must be stimulated with medication and should retrieve an egg to initiate the process of in vitro fertilization (IVF) and Intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI).
During Intracytoplasmic sperm injection specially designed ICSI needles are used to pick up and examine an individual sperm. Embryologists generally select an individual sperm and insert it through the outer shell of the egg and egg membrane into the inner cytoplasm of the egg. This insertion of sperm results in normal fertilization in around 70-80 % of the cases.
Why you need to go for ICSI
There are certain reasons due to which ICSI is performed. The common reasons are:
- Male infertility and those who do not want to use sperm insemination.
- When the sperm concentration is less than 15-20 million per millilitre.
- Low sperm motility
- Poor sperm morphology
- Having IVF history with no or a low rate of fertilization.
Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection (ICSI) Procedure
The following steps need to be followed while performing intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI):
- Stimulation and retrieval of egg
- The mature egg is selected and held with a specialized holding pipette.
- A delicate, sharp hollow needle is used for immobilization and selecting a single sperm.
- The needle is inserted through the shell of the egg into the cytoplasm.
- The sperm is released into the cytoplasm and the needle is removed.
- The eggs are then carefully monitored for normal fertilization the next morning.
- The fertilized egg is then transferred to the uterus.
Pregnancy success rates are higher for IVF with ICSI treatment when compared to IVF without ICSI. The success rate generally depends on the individual’s health condition and can vary from person to person.
ICSI infertility treatment is known for high success rate. It is common fertility treatment for men. ICSI treatment cost is reasonable at the IVF center. Infertility treatment cost in Hyderabad is generally less when compared to other centers. IUI centers also perform ICSI treatment. IVF treatment in Hyderabad is generally accompanied with ICSI treatment for better results.